Do you sometimes feel like the Energizer Bunny with a weak battery?
You start out strong, but by mid afternoon you start to fade.
We all get tired from time to time, but fatigue tends to become more common as we get older.
Assuming your doctor has ruled out medical causes for persistent fatigue, there are a few basic steps you can take to maintain your energy or to feel more energetic.
1) Pace yourself. Instead of burning though all your battery life in two hours, spread it out between morning tasks, afternoon tasks, and evening activities - with rest and meals in between.
Consider these strategies to get the most mileage from your battery.
2) Take a nap. A short power nap can restore energy, but if you struggle to get enough sleep at night, napping can make insomnia worse. If you are not an insomniac, though, enjoy that 10 to 15 minute power nap.
3) Avoid most energy supplements. Beside's the sugar and caffeine in them, there is no concrete evidence that energy-boosting supplements really work. Some modern hypesters advocate taking: Iron and B vitamins. Iron is only beneficial if you are clearly deficient, which a doctor can check with a blood test.
Unless you are low in iron, you don't need to take it, and getting too much iron can be harmful.
It is true that B vitamins (B1, B2, B6, B12) help the body convert food into the form of energy that cells can burn, but it's a myth that taking in more B vitamins supercharges your cells.
4) Eat long-lasting fuel. Your body burns through sugars and highly processed simple carbohydrates, like white bread, white rice, or pastries more rapidly than protein and the complex carbohydrates in whole grains. Instead of having a coffee and a bagel, try low-fat yogurt with a sprinkling of nuts and a fruit.
Your body will take in the carb-fiber-protein mix more gradually.
To really sustain yourself over the course of the day, eat a breakfast and a lunch that include complex carbohydrates and protein.
Don't skip meals. It's better to evenly space your meals out so your body gets the nourishment it needs all through the day.
5) Keep moving, stay active. Don't be a couch potato. The reason for this is very simple. The more energy you burn the burn energy you can create.
There you have it. My top 5 picks to help boost your energy.
Till next time have a great week.